Tuesday, 22 November 2011
Grooming of young girls for sex is neither new nor uncommon. The abusers can be men or women of any nationality or social class, but mine happened to be Pakistani men.

There is a huge problem in this country with some Pakistani men preying on young white girls. It has nothing to do with Islam and most British Pakistanis have nothing but contempt for the men involved. They don’t represent any race or religion, just pure evil.

It was 1994 and I was 16 when I was caught by this evil. It’s taken me 17 years to write this down.

Back then I lived in a children’s home in Leeds and I was aware of the men in flash cars who would hang around outside. Some of the girls I lived with, aged 14 to 16, would sneak out in the early hours and return with pockets full of cigarettes to tell of their adventures.


The bruises and fingermarks on their flesh told another story entirely. Perhaps because I was quite new to the care system, I didn’t get involved. Staff couldn’t prevent the girls from leaving even if they suspected that they were going off with men.

It was compulsory to leave care at 16 and I was given a flat in a mainly Pakistani area through a charity. Its role was to visit me regularly and to ensure that all was well and that I was coping. Sadly, they did not do any of this. It was a case of: “Don’t forget to pay your rent.”

The loneliness and isolation were indescribable, and the pain at losing what felt like yet another family was unbearable. It’s very hard being in care, but sometimes leaving is even harder. I began to drink heavily and take every drug that came my way.

The Pakistani men from the shop near my flat were very kind to me. They would always ask how I was and this would often be the only human contact I would have in a day.

Sometimes I would just go to the shop on the pretence of needing an item, but it was actually just to hear a kind word or have a conversation.

Money was short and they knew this, because many care leavers had been in my flat before. They began to give me a bottle of vodka or wine, saying that I could pay later. Soon, they refused to take any money and, despite my protestations, they would insist that I paid “another time”.

The trap was set. I was vulnerable and completely unaware. Then the bill for all my free drinks was presented to me, a sum of money so staggering that my heart still jumps at the thought of it.

Then the threats started: “Pay now or we’ll kill you.” Bones of dead animals would be pushed through my letterbox and they would bang on my door. At one stage I called the police.

And then it suddenly stopped. The shop owner apologised and said that he would make his friends and grown-up sons stop. He asked me to go for a drive with him. In my relief and joy I happily went along.

He took me to his house, but once inside he turned nasty again. He demanded that I stripped, pushed me on the bed and raped me. Afterwards, he returned me to the flat, telling me to be ready for that evening.

He came back that night and took me to another house, where he raped me again before passing me to his sons, his nephews and his brother. I don’t know for how many months this went on, but eventually something broke my robotic state and I made a run for it. I still don’t know from where I found the courage to do this.

I managed to find a hostel, strictly women-only, and then the real pain began. I hated everything about myself. I couldn’t look in a mirror, I stopped washing and I often took a razor blade to my arms and wrists. Seeing the blood run out of me was the only thing that eased the pain and made me feel human.

The long years of recovery were hard and lonely. I was too ashamed to discuss what had happened and completely blamed myself. I don’t think that a “full recovery” can ever be made. Even now, many years later, writing these events for the first time has made me retch.

Now I look at my own 16-year-old daughter and I think: “My God, how young and vulnerable she is.” That’s how old I was.

In the end, my refusal to let those evil people continue to control my life and dictate the terms by which I lived won out, but it will never go away and maybe that’s OK.

The author, aged 33, decided to write about her ordeal in response to The Times’s investigation
Source: The Times (£)

This shows how far dhimmi attitudes towards Islam have been inculcated into the people. Even Muslim rape victims continue to believe the official line.

A similar story from yesterday:
Four months after her 16th birthday, Chloe jumped from a bridge above the M1.
There was no safety net. In her life, there never had been. Motorists swerved to avoid the broken body then waited for the emergency services. Chloe failed. She broke five bones in her back, shattered both feet and spent two months in Leeds General Infirmary, but she survived.

Her story is told for the first time today, along with those of five other girls from West Yorkshire, aged between 12 to 16, victims during the past two years of men who used alcohol and drugs to groom and exploit teenagers for sex.

To search for what led Chloe to that flyover is to go back to a February night in 2009 when the 15-year-old was invited to a birthday party. She was in the garden when a takeaway delivery driver pulled up and persuaded her to go for a ride. Asian and in his twenties, he drove to a secluded spot and raped her.

Chloe managed to phone a friend: “I’m in a car and they won’t let me out.” Later, dumped in a council estate, she dialled 999. When the police collected the trembling child she was too scared to tell them the truth because she thought her father would be angry that she had been in a stranger’s car. She claimed to have been abducted and subjected to a minor indecent assault.

A criminal investigation was begun. Police made media appeals, visited local takeaways and built an E-fit picture of the suspect, known to Chloe only by his nickname, PK, but were unable to find him.

Her mother — Chloe’s parents are separated — reflects now that her daughter was “crying out for help but couldn’t tell anyone”.

Left on her own for long periods at home, she began to drink alcohol and dabble in drugs. At a party that summer she was shocked to see the same driver. In her mother’s words, “when he got his claws into her” this time, she told no one.

By September, there were mornings when Chloe was dropped at her Leeds school, to be collected by a waiting PK. She was drinking heavily, using Ecstasy and heroin and paying for it by having sex with a dealer who made her dependent on him and his wares. He started selling her to other men.

The school’s records are revealing. On September 18, a week after her 16th birthday, Chloe arrived “in a poor state”, dishevelled and speech slurred. She fell asleep in a lesson then walked out of school. Increasingly un-co-operative and abusive, in early October she had a meeting with the deputy head and a police officer based at the school. Chloe admitted taking drugs on a regular basis, explaining that she took them “to forget”.

After breaking down in tears, she asked the teacher to leave then told the female officer about the rape. The school was informed, as were her parents, and the officer filed an intelligence report.

The opinion of both school and the police, after a rape disclosure by a girl who found it “very difficult to give eye contact” and was using drugs and alcohol to forget the past, was that “there were no ongoing issues and Chloe was not in any danger”.

In late October, the school decided Chloe was such “a serious risk to herself and others” that she should no longer attend classes. Chloe remained enrolled but for the rest of the academic year attended a support project for disadvantaged young people.

Chloe’s father, with whom she lived, was thought to be “in denial” about her drug and alcohol problems, but the school decided there were no child protection concerns. It told the project only of her “issues around drugs” and is adamant that it was “unaware that she was at risk of sexual exploitation”.

At the publicly funded project, the new arrival formed a strong bond with her support worker and slowly began to confide in her. In December, Chloe said there was an address where she was given drugs and was having sex with seven adult men of various ethnic backgrounds. The support worker immediately contacted the police with the names of the men, which she recorded in her notebook, and subsequently had a meeting with two police officers. She also contacted Leeds City Council’s social care team, which rejected a social care referral but agreed to call a multi-agency assessment meeting. By the time it was held, in February last year, it was almost too late.

In January, Chloe had discovered that she was pregnant. She went to tell the father, PK, of her decision to keep the baby and that she wanted to break free of drugs and to make a new start.

His response was to drag her into a bedroom and rape her before inviting his friends to join in. It was the prelude to an assault in which the men repeatedly kicked her in the stomach. She was held overnight then driven to a back-street abortionist. Chloe told no one but a few days later went to her school on drugs and out of control. She was arrested, held in cells overnight then released without charge. She went home that evening, January 28, kissed her sleeping sister and left the house. At 11.25pm, she jumped from the bridge.

Her mother rushed to the hospital to be met by police officers who asked if she knew why Chloe might have attempted suicide. She mentioned the original rape, the only sexual offence she knew about, and said she was told “we haven’t got that in our records”.
Chloe was by now under the care of the child and adolescent mental health service in Leeds. Her mother was not told of the meeting in February at which professionals decided to hold a second one a month later.

In March, her support worker visited hospital. According to project records, Chloe “said that the reason she had jumped was that she had been gang-raped by a group of adult Asian men”. The support worker called police.

On March 18, her mother finally learnt the truth during a child protection meeting at which a referral to social care was again rejected because the council felt that Chloe had adequate support. Police did not attend. Her school was not represented.
Chloe’s mother went straight to the hospital. Her daughter whispered: “You know everything about me now, Mum. I’m sorry.” “I’d sat there being told that she’d been groomed, pimped out and was selling herself for drugs. And then that she’d been gang-raped.

“They knew the names so why didn’t anyone do something about them? I told Chloe that everything was going to be OK but when I walked out of that hospital I was physically sick.” Out of hospital, Chloe went to live with her mother. The girl received counselling.

“We got her into a college and she’s managed to get a childcare qualification. It’s taken a long time, but she’s glad she didn’t die on that motorway.”

A month before Chloe’s jump, Ofsted carried out a full inspection of safeguarding services in Leeds. Its report found them inadequate, with “weaknesses” in assessments for “some of the most vulnerable children”.

Her school, a police force, a youth project and the council’s social care team all held information about Chloe before she attempted suicide. No one put the jigsaw pieces together.

The names of the victims and abusers have been changed to protect the girls.
Source: The Times (£)


Search

Loading...

Blog Archive

Powered by Blogger.

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews