Wednesday, 14 September 2011
There have been a few stories in the press today about the increasing incidence of TB in Europe. London, it seems, now has more cases (3500) than any other city in western Europe. In Birmingham, Leicester and Glasgow, the figures are also high.

Visiting the website of the Health Protection Agency (HPA), I came across some very intersting information. In its March 2011 Tuberculosis Update, it says:
The majority of cases were not born in the UK (73%); most
were from South Asia (57%) and Sub Saharan Africa (27%). Only
23% of non-UK-born cases were diagnosed with TB within two
years of entering the UK, about half of these presenting with
pulmonary disease.

So 73% of cases were to immigrants. It would be interesting to know how many of the remaining 27% were born into immigrant families or communities. And most TB-infected immigrants were not diagnosed for more than 2 years after entering the country, giving plenty of time to go around infecting others. The same report makes it clear that, in line with immigration, diagnoses of TB has risen significantly since the 1980s and particularly so in the last decade.

Around 9000 people are diagnosed with TB each year in Britain. The global fatality rate from normal TB is 7% and about 50% from the increasingly widespread drug-resistant TB. According to this website, around 400 people die from TB each year in Britain. Let's ignore the dead immigrants. That still leaves around 100 people dying each year from TB. This is far, far more than die as a result of terrorism in an average year.

In Britain, the primary vector of tuberculosis, like the primary vector of terrorism, is immigration. How many of the media reports today mention this as a factor?

I've read four separate news reports today about the rise in tuberculosis:

Reuters: No mention of the immigration factor

The Herald: No mention of the immigration factor

MSN: No mention of the immigration factor

Only the Daily Mail mentions it in a single sentence:
Rates of all types of TB have hit a 30-year-high and there were 9,040 cases last year, the highest number recorded since 1979, when there were 9,266 cases.

This increase is partly due to higher numbers of immigrants coming in from India, South-East Asia and Africa where the disease is widespread.

The facts about TB give rise to obvious policy questions such as "Would it be a good idea to restrict (all or just third-world) immigration?" and "Would it be a good idea to require rigorous health checks for would-be immigrants to Britain?". Yet these questions will most likely never be asked within the public sphere because the knowledge that prompts them is systematically suppressed by an elite conspiring against its own people. This elite, drunk on its own deranged ideology, would rather let thousands of Europeans die than see its political plans disrupted!

How can democracy work when people are being systematically denied the knowledge they require to make informed voting decisions?




Blog Archive

Powered by Blogger.

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews