Sunday, 27 February 2011
Heartening news from an unlikely quarter today: 48% of the British people say they would consider voting for a "far-right" party that dispensed with violent imagery. The news comes from a poll conducted on behalf of the far-left anti-European extremist organisation Searchlight. According to the report in the Observer, "48% of the population would consider supporting a new anti-immigration party committed to challenging Islamist extremism."

Predictably, the bien-pensant elite have called the results disturbing, but the rest of us will find them greatly encouraging. Naturally, the elite is trying to explain away the poll results as a consequence of "economic pessimism".

The poll suggests that the level of backing for a far-right party could equal or even outstrip that in countries such as France, the Netherlands and Austria. France's National Front party hopes to secure 20% in the first round of the presidential vote next year. The Dutch anti-Islam party led by Geert Wilders attracted 15.5% of the vote in last year's parliamentary elections.

One interesting aspect of the poll results is that support for restriction on immigration is high even among people who are themselves of recent immigrant origin. In fact, 39% of "Asian Britons" want immigration to be stopped completely or until economic growth recovers compared to 34% of white Britons.

43% of Asian Britons, 63% of white Britons and 17% of black Britons agreed with the statement that "immigration into Britain has been a bad thing for the country". Just over half of respondents – 52% – agreed with the proposition that "Muslims create problems in the UK".

It's amazing that only 52% of people agree with the proposition that Muslims create problems in the UK. Who are the other 48%? How could anyone in their right mind disagree with that statement?

The poll also touched on free speech. 60% said they should be allowed to say whatever they like about religion, while 42% said the same thing about race. I actually find these results disturbing. It's shocking that 40% of the population think free speech should be restricted on the topic of religion and that 58% think it should be on the topic of race. Those people are contemptible. They do not deserve to live in a free country. They are unworthy of the country their ancestors built for them.


Powered by Blogger.

Total Pageviews